Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saturday Evening....July 5th...2008

Nothing new to report...Linda is doing well....we did a lot of nothing today...recovering from our travels.

Last week, before going to Seattle for our visit with family, we drove from Portland to Salem for a Celebration of Life for Dixie, who passed away suddenly. She was the wife of one of my consultant "brothers", Steve. It was a very moving service...I had a couple of quotes...but have lost them this past week. She was a remarkable, loving Mother, Wife and companion to her friends and Church.

I was struck at the frequency of "Celebrations" we have been attending...perhaps we have moved to that phase of life where folks we know are passing on....it is a shock to say the least. I thought we were in the phase where all we talked about was our illnesses and injuries...now I find there is more. It proves my belief that living in the present is critical to get the most out of life....we don't know what tomorrow will bring.

I read a statement in the past day or so...where I don't remember..but it said something to the effect that it's not how long you live but rather how you live in the length of life you have........Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a quote credited to Abraham Lincoln, I think. I used that thought at the end of the eulogy I gave at Skip's celebration of life. It went something like..."Skip had read in his study Bible a reference to---what is important is not the amount of days in one's life, but the amount of life in one's days. Skip asked me to thank you for being a part of his life. So...thank you from Skip,... and thank you from me."

I'm headed to Fremont tomorrow and am anxious to tell Mom and Dad about my visit with you. I'm glad that you had a good visit in Seattle.

Love, Ruth