Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wednesday....February 2nd ...2011

This is the 5th and last piece written and spoken at the Celebration of Linda......by her special friend. Each of the 5 pieces is so wonderful to read over and over to get a sense of what a person Linda was....and what she left for us as gifts...

I knew Linda best as a Mother and a friend.

We lived just around the corner from each other in Salem.

In 1985 Linda knocked on my door and I was greeted with a loaf of banana bread and a smile. That was 25 years ago. Over the years Linda and I shared many special times together. She was a good mother, who led by example and I so admired that.

One memory I have was in 1986 when Jeff got his first paper route. I remember Linda helping him out for a while. Rain or shine they got up around 4 am and delivered the papers. She called me excited one day describing how Jeff had been just made Carrier of the Year…she was so proud.

The last time I saw Linda; I came out of her hospital room and walked down the hall with tears in my eyes. It was then Jeff appeared, seeing me in distress. He got up and walked to me with outstretched arms and gave me a big hug.

Linda would have been so proud at what a great compassionate man he had turned out to be.
A few years back, my husband and I went out to eat at a restaurant in Salem. We were sitting waiting for our meal and Linda’s son Jim came up and greeted us. He was very friendly and outgoing. He said he was one of the managers at the restaurant.

Linda shred recently that Jim was a good business man and marveled at his ability managing restaurant.

Janine…she makes me smile,

Janine and my daughter Marcy became best friends right after we moved to Salem in 1985.
When Janine was in the 4th grade, Linda made both girls matching outfits. Several weeks later Marcy’s pants were destroyed in a laundry room accident .I told Linda how sorry I was that they were ruined. Less than 24 hours later, Linda showed up on my doorstep with a new pair of pants she had made. That was Linda..... such a caring woman.

Recently Linda described to me a list of Janine’s wonderful qualities…from being a good teacher to a great hostess…and many qualities in between.

I see a little of Linda in each of the children and that is so comforting to me.

Linda is home now…In peace and cancer free. I personally believe she is spending time catching up with Jono who passed before her.

Janine Tells me Linda is smiling down on all of us. Thank you and thanks for her

If cancer has a good side, Linda would say it is the reconnecting with old friends…these friends added to her quality of life in these last few years and months. Today I say to each of you on her behalf….Don’t wait until you are ill or your friends are ill. Reach out and connect and enjoy these friendships now. No one knows how much time each of us has.

In the end, Linda said family and friends were the most important to her …and she is right.

My life has been enriched having Linda as my neighbor…and as my friend , she will always have a special place in my heart…

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Oh...I remember our matching outfits in the 4th grade!

Anonymous said...

Dave, thank you so much for sharing all of these. To all who wrote, thank you for sharing so much of Linda with us.
The one overwhelming thought I have as I read through these tributes (and I as read the last few months of this blog) is that if I could be half the person Linda was, I would be happy. Of course, she wouldn't be. She would urge me to do more and be more and love more. That was what came naturally to her.
Marjorie

Anonymous said...

Dave, thank you for the incredable celebration of Lindas life. If I had not known her I might of thought you all were putting her on a pretty high pedestal. But I have gotten to know Linda over the past few years and she is everthing you said and more. Linda you are an incredable inspiration to me and I will always be thankful to you for your positive attitude and courage like know one I have ever seen. I will miss you. Deb Bruce