Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday.....September 12th....2009


If you'd like to learn more about our friend Roger Traweek, who passed away this week...please go to the following site...he was a wonderful poet...our favorites... "STRONG MEDICINE" and "SO LONG COWBOY"

http://www.cowboypoetry.com/rt.htm

Very impressive work...we also have these poems as a gift from Roger..profesionally set to music in the background.
.
I wrote a piece about Roger for his Memorial and spoke to it before the gathering...it starts with....

I am driven to spend a bit of time expressing my appreciation and awe of having known Roger Traweek. He was a truly unique and gifted man. I always looked up to him in terms of his skills as a staff person with the Oregon Education Association, as an orator and his compassion as a human being.

My experiences with Roger were many over the years and a few stand out. ............


(I go on to talk anout some experiences with Roger which were quite funny and lessons for me)

.........I learned a lot from that activity (an activity among the ones I talked about) and Roger…keep the pressure on….don’t back off….do something different….be unpredictable…. Thank you Roger, for that valuable lesson. I used that “learning” for the rest of my career.

Roger was my Facebook Friend. Some of his “messages” over the past few weeks…they each are wonderful and reflective of Roger….

(I go on to list a few...this one is my favorite):......

Roger L. Traweek......... Just wondering who the first person was to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze those dangly things hanging there and drink whatever comes out." I'm not even curious about the first person who was inspired by seeing a chicken!

And I finished with.......

Lastly I want to acknowledge Roger for his support of my wife and myself in our difficult times. We lost our youngest son in 1989…..Linda and I have never forgotten Roger’s kind words of support in our grief. I know Linda is going to speak to this so I will leave this for her.

Linda felt absolutely “grounded” with Roger’s support of her in her fight with cancer. She knew he was there for her. His kind words and gentleness gave her strength. Even from afar, Linda felt a closeness and connection with Roger. And I know she will speak to this also in her own way.

I will never forget visiting Roger in the hospital last week and seeing Roger reach out to her and hold her hands…and she, his….

Roger..rest in peace…know…that you will live on in the hearts of those who knew you….

From your poem “So Long Cowboy”….”riding with you has made all our lives easier….so long cowboy”….


Linda wrote and spoke too...a very heartfelt piece that starts like this......

Roger became one of my beloved supporters after my diagnosis and I appreciated his visits, calls, and e-mails. He always seemed to know the right thing to say which is such a gift. I am so glad we got to see him a couple times in the hospital. He seemed so vulnerable the last time as we visited him before we headed to the airport to fly to Alaska. I am glad I kissed his hand and told him I loved him, not knowing that it would be the last words I spoke to him.

And she finished with......

........in closing I would like to quote a paragraph from that letter that has meant so much to me over the years:
.
“Surely the pain will ease with time, and your best memories will be the only ones that will remain. Cling to them, for they become more precious with time. Jonathan will always be your happy, smiling 10 year old son. He’ll know no heartbreak, no pain and suffering, no growing old; he’ll be forever young as he was the last time you all had a good laugh and a good time together. God bless little Jonathan and care for him and for you.”

I wish the same for you and will hold you all in my heart as you grieve for your husband and father. Thank you for sharing him with me and know that I too will miss him greatly.


Rest in peace Roger....you will live on in our hearts and many others too......



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing Roger with us. It is amazing how a person I don't even know personally can still touch my heart. The most beautiful aspect of this blog is the heartfelt love (and humor) that is enjoyed by all who read it. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I laugh, but I am always moved in the most human way. I feel so lucky, as you do with Roger, for having know the two of you.

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Roger, but wow... break out the Kleenex. I know how much my friends mean to me in my life, and it's truly a gift to see my parents share that experience with theirs. I love you both!
janine

Anonymous said...

As always, I was soooooooo happy to get to spend some time with you two. Linda, I know you weren't feeling great, but you still took the time and you STILL had that beautiful smile..
I am looking forward to our next get together...
Claiudia

Anonymous said...

I just read Roger's poetry and I am blown away..were these published? They are wonderful. They made me both happy and sad with thoughts of my childhood and the delightful time I had on my grandparents dairy farm...The people he wrote about could easily be my ancestors! Thanks for sharing.
Claudia

Cheryl Jones said...

Marilyn has said it better than I could. Thanks for sharing Roger and thanks for sharing yourselves with all of us. I feel truly priveleged to be counted among your friends.

Love to you both, as always.