Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday...January 24th..2011

At the Celebration of Linda, there were 4 parts to her Eulogy prepared and spoken by each of the 4 children...Jim, Wendy, Jeff and Janine....for the next 4 nights I plan on reprinting the parts one at a time....it's not important who wrote which part....

Linda

It is hard to describe someone you love in 3 to 5 minutes so that someone listening can really understand her. You all knew Linda, in many different ways – I hope to share about her today in a way that lets you see her. She married my dad when I was 11, and was truly my other mom. When I was thinking of how I feel and think about Linda, and how to write a eulogy about her, I thought of the Wife of Noble Character in the Bible. This passage of scripture really applies to her in so many ways and in ways I can only hope to emulate some day. I want to read that to you now and I want you to think of Linda while I’m reading it.

Proverbs 31:10-31

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants.
She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her; ‘Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.’
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

What I find noble about Linda:

She was a true partner for my dad. They did so much together and never did we hear either say anything negative about the other. They loved to travel, work, play and plan together. I shared at their 30th anniversary party on Nov 20, 2010 how I look to them as an example in many of these areas in my own marriage.

Linda was a hard worker – I never got it when I was kid why she couldn’t just sit and watch a movie with me – she was getting things done, not idle – now I understand since I have my own household to run, and only one kid to keep up with – it’s hard to sit and watch a whole movie and miss those two hours of getting things done that need to be done. She was busy outside the home with her work as well. She was a business woman, sometimes literally buying a field and developing it. She didn’t have a college degree or an 8 to 5 job but made her way in this world with a keen business sense and her work was profitable.

Linda was a very giving person, always donating to different causes, at church or different causes I was raising money for. She loved to sew. I can remember being a teenager and she sewed me a Gunnysack dress. I loved it – white and blue, soft colors, very whimsical, ruffles and ribbons. She sewed my wedding dress. It took her such a long time to add every single bead, but she did it because she loved me and I wanted the beading. That wedding dress will go to my daughter some day and I hope she’ll want to wear it. She sewed my baby’s first quilt, which my daughter values and takes good care of.

She was a faithful woman, always keeping her faith in God no matter what life sent in her direction. Not long ago, she told me she always felt like somewhat of a Job, first losing her first husband, then her father and youngest son in the same year. Even with cancer, she remained faithful. I appreciate her influence on me in this area of my life. One of the ways I feel close to God is through song. Anyone that has been in a church service with Linda will know that she loved to sing hymns and songs of praise. You could not help but hear her beautiful voice from any pew as she sang so whole-heartedly and didn’t hold anything back. 

Linda has two grandchildren, Jillian, 13 and Taigen, 6 (both have promised to never be terrible teens!). Jillian is the daughter of my brother Jim and Taigen is my daughter. I remember how much Linda loved becoming a grandmother. She spent time with Jillian right after she was born, lending a loving hand to Jillian’s mom Julie and the newborn. One of the memories I and the girls each have is baking with Linda. Her chocolate chip cookies were frequently baked and many have enjoyed them through the years. The recipe is out in the fellowship hall on note cards for anyone who would like to carry on the tradition.

Linda has played a big role in both of the girls’ lives. She wanted them both to have memories with her – some that stick out for me are her and my dad taking Jillian to Alaska for niece Laura’s wedding to be the flower girl when she was 3 to the most recent trip to Victoria, Canada last summer. With Taigen, it has to be the trips to Florida to visit grandma and grandpa. We went to Busch Gardens last year and although Linda didn’t have a lot of physical strength at the time, we had a memorable day. When Taigen was tired, she could climb in Grandma’s lap and ride in the wheelchair with her. I will never forget that wheelchair with Linda sitting in it with both of her feet on the one foot pedal that was left on the chair and Taigen on her lap. We also did a family ‘camping’ trip these past two summers with my husband Chris, Taigen, grandma and grandpa, Jillian and Janine. I put in the quotes because while Janine and Chris, Taigen and I were in our tents respectively, grandma and grandpa were in the 5-star RV. But how cool that even last Labor Day weekend Linda could go camping.

I’m so grateful we had Christmas at her house last month as she loves Christmas and it made a most special memory to be with her another Christmas. I thanked her last week for being such a great grandma and she told me it was deliberate as it was very important to her. Family was important to her. Linda had a positive attitude, even to the end of her life. She freely gave smiles and warm words of encouragement to everyone. She demonstrated strength and dignity even in the face of trials, even death. I was so grateful to be able to see her last week and let her know how much she means to me and my family.

I will always be grateful for what she has taught me, her love and acceptance of me and my family and for her love and partnership with my dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful... I am looking forward to reading the rest when you post them. Hope you are getting some much needed rest, Dave. Take care, and know that we are all thinking of you.

Love,
Jim and Swee

Marissa said...

Dave, I am so glad everything went so beautifully. It is such a credit to that wonderful woman you married that everyone, and I mean everyone loved her dearly.