Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday....February 16th...2009

A theory....

So last night I worked on the computer and Internet for hours researching Linda's cough and phlegm.....this is what I have come up with knowing that the Internet doesn't always have the right answers and one has to sort through things..

The phlegm is the body's production to rid the lung of "foreign" material...in this case the debris and all from the cancer and treatments.

The phlegm will not go away as long as the "stuff" is in the lung.

The use of a cough suppressant..ie cough syrup is not the right thing to do...the objective is to get rid of the phlegm....by coughing.

The impact of the phlegm can be reduced by using medication such as Musinex to "thin" the phlegm, allowing it to be coughed up easier.

Drinking lots of water will also reduce the thickness of the phlegm.

Swallowing the phlegm is not a good thing to do. .(....NOTE: Linda and I discussed this today....and felt that because cancer is non infectious, swallowing isn't a problem)

Agree or disagree.......
.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave your analysis makes perfect sense so there must be something medically wrong with it!!

Anonymous said...

David, we will have to call you Dr. of Research. It is very interesting the facts you found.
Linda, I was wondering why only one card? I really admire you to play Bingo. I know it was for a good cause. With calling Bingo for 19 years in the Nursing Home bingo is not my favorite game. Possibly when and if I am in a nursing home that may be the "joy" of my life. I rather have a glass of wine. Keep up the research , David. Linda, are prayers are with you.
Love, Janet

Anonymous said...

First of all, that you for the beautiful valentine.

Next, my mother, soon to be 95 (on March 4), has lots of experience with coughing. On the plus side, all the coughing she does certainly keeps her heart muscle in tone. On the negative side, it's very debilitating.

HER theory is that you must only purhcase expectorants. That agrees with your conclusion. Get that stuff outta there. She also insists that you must actually expectorate it; not swallow it. I wonder why because if you swallow it, although it sounds icky, it is now in your digestive system and on the way OUT. We've disagreed on that for 50 years. Your research sides with her though so I'll be gracious enough to tell her that. :)

Marjorie

Anonymous said...

Well......the part about drinking more water makes sense. "more water" seems to be the solution to many problems. Sounds to me like Linda's body is geting the message to get it out, makes the mucus to help get the stuff out, but the hairballs just like continuing to prolong their visit with Linda. I say, drown the suckers with water. Linda, just don't travel too far from a bathroom!
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Linda -
Happy Birthday to dear Janine!
I remember it well esepcially the part where I had to quickly exchange my baby gift for something more appropriate for a GIRL! We had no idea Linda could give birth to a girl!

Dave - your research can be embraced, it makes perfect sense. Bring on the water!

Today I'm grateful for rain in California, for a day off work and especially grateful for your friendship.

Love and hugs,
Mary

Anonymous said...

By gollie Ollie, I think you got it. LOL.. You know that makes awhole lot of sense. I believe sometimes Drs. get alittle to wrapped up in technical things, that they forget the simpliest things. That definitely is what coughing is all about, so right on. Bingo, I love I always win.. I havent played for a long time. I am saving that for my old age, in that ol folks home. LOL. Anway, Love you guys. You are awesomw. Keep the faith.
Its working....Vicky