Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thursday.....February 5th...2009

Is it early or is it late? ......we just got here..home in Oregon..from the airport......

"You ain't gonna believe what happened!"

Linda-lou, now known as the "Drama Queen...scratch that...the "Dynamic Drama Queen" outdid herself today.....

Please understand what was very serious at the time....after all was said and done.....was something we could look back on and laugh a bit.

We got up very early today in Florida for a all day flight back to Oregon by way of Houston. when we got to the airport, Linda persisted in tussling with the luggage...rocked back on her heels.....hit her Butt hard on the cement...fell backwards and hit her back...luckily it stopped there and no head hit the pavement....but she was very sore...aggravating the pleuritic problems she's been having. This affair should have been my first clue.

She then made it into the airport..checked in..went through security..worked on a crossword puzzle..loaded on the airplane...conversed with the gentleman beside her...and..and....end of story?????? NOPE. Linda had something bigger in mind.

Linda had been careful not to turn on the air overhead because of contamination possibilities.....also she wore a mask because of her low immunity.

We taxied out to the runway and started down the runway for takeoff....It was dark inside the aircraft and all of a sudden I had a sense something was wrong with Linda. I asked her if she was ok and she mumbled something and was quite incoherent....and then she went silent and her head dropped...she was unconscious...I wasn't able to get anything out of her..I couldn't see what was going on..so I rang the flight attendant button.....an attendant came scurrying back and I said "she's unconscious".....he said "shall we abort"..ie the take off...mind you we are now about 100 mph hurtling down the runway...I said "WHAT?"...he said he had to get back to his seat.

The good news is Linda came back around and had no memory of the takeoff etc. etc. ...there happened to be a doctor in the seat behind her who came and sat with her, checking her blood pressure, pulse, and all. The flight attendant came back apologizing for having to leave but was required to be in his seat for take off.

Over the two hours to Houston, Linda was given large quantities of water as her blood pressure was low....also lots of orange juice...the nice lady doctor stayed with her and Linda was back to her "old self". It was decided that the fainting spell was cause by a multitude of factors, including the low blood pressure, no air because of the vents turned off....rebreathing CO2 because of the mask and later we were to learn she had low blood sugar ( but I'm getting ahead of myself). Also lack of sleep due to an early flight, cancer, plueritic pain...and who knows what else. They had Linda on a low flow of O2 to assist her...which is quite common practice.

Anyway things are going well as we get to Houston...THEN..as we turn towards the gate, I immediately notice several emergency vehicles...ambulance....fire truck...rescue truck.....lots of flashing red lights....now I'm no rocket scientist but 2 and 2 are 4....I said to Linda "I think those are for you".."no way" she said.....and at that moment an announcement was made in the airplane notifying all passengers to remain in their seats at the gate so EMT's could board and remove the "medical emergency" 2 plus 2 is still 4!

Six burly EMT's crowded onto the airplane to assist Miss Linda....and removed her carefully from the aircraft....they performed their system checks and all and found Linda to be in pretty good shape . Great! we thought as we had a tight connection for our next flight....but then Miss Continental Airlines showed up and informed us that she would have to check with the pilot of our connecting flight to see if he wanted to take us or whether Linda needed to be checked out by a doctor (read hospital and emergency room)....also if there would be the need for Linda to be on O2 all the way to Oregon....

We knew we were in trouble when Miss Continental said in her cell phone..."I don't recommend allowing her to fly"....of course we knew the saga was not over...and of course we were told "no flying without a doctor's ok"....of course, who's to blamb Continental...protecting themselves in this crazy "sue world".

So off to the hospital we went to be diagnosed as having a "fainting spell".....

We did get the permission slip to fly...as well as undoubtedly a big..big bill......but it was assuring to get a doctor to say all was ok...as had the EMT's etc.

One problem..the next flight was 6 hours away...so we had a long long wait in the airport as well as a late late drive home.

This was a serious situation but you would have had to have been there to have heard the flight attendant say "shall we abort" (I mean, how many fields would we have plowed through before we would have come to a stop)....and then all those red flashing lights..for Miss Linda.....priceless. .
Tomorrow Linda's appointment is at 1 pm....we will want to get a full briefing on what is going on with the cancer recurrence...what the chemo program will be..how to deal with the nausea Linda is experiencing....how to stabilize the blood pressure.....which has been a constant problem when the cancer and treatment is involved...as well as several other questions we have...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can kind of laugh about it now since I know everything ended up just fine, but that was definitely a scare!! Dave, I don't know how you held it all together... Hope you were able to get some rest when you finally made it home.

Go in with that positive attitude you've had through all this, and know that you're both always in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Jim and Swee

Anonymous said...

OK, laughed out loud at this -- but then I've been told I have a warped sense of humor. And also thought of my mom who went into anaphylactic shock (a reaction to chemo) but "didn't want to bother the nurses; they were tending to more important people" and so nearly died right there in the chair.

So I say this with all the love in my heart -- Linda, ask for help. Even if you think you SHOULD be able to do it. (SHOULDS are bad words anyway.) Ask for -- and accept with love -- help. We want to provide that help; allow us to do so by giving us an outlet, a direction for that help.

Here's to a rapid improvement in all things and a glorious return to perfect health!! You're wrapped in that golden glow of healing love!!!

Susie

Anonymous said...

Linda,
Jamie Walker here. I caught-up with Janine the other day and she told me the horrible news that your cancer has returned. I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you.

You are one of the most strong-willed and determined people I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know. I know that there is no give-up in you anywhere, I don't think you even know those words. Stay positive and good things will happen, as they always do to good people.

What a crazy story by the way, happy you made it home safe and sound. My thoughts are with you and the family, be strong.

Love, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Wow!What excitement. Yes, it sounded funny but I know it wasn't funny going through all that. You now are safe. Thank goodness.Thanks for my excitement for the day,Dave and Linda.
Love,
Janet

Cheryl Jones said...

Like Susie, I have a warped sense of humor and laughed out loud at that story. I can't imagine what it must have felt like seeing all those emergency vehicles coming for you!! Good heavens!

I'm so glad you made it home at last, in spite of all Linda's efforts to the contrary. ;-)

Now, no more theatrics, Linda. Get down to business and get healthy again. And keep us all updated with all the details you get from your doctors. We're all heavily invested in your progress by now, so we need details.

I hope you can now have calm, emergency-free days at home. Love to you both, as always.

Anonymous said...

I guess having recently been in a caregiver's shoes, I'm more into the frightened mindset rather than humor. I pray that you continue to have good endings to all adventures.
Love,
Ruth Ann

Anonymous said...

I was absolutely going crazy reading all that happened and when all is over you laugh but I can only imagine how it went down. My thoughts are so with you right now, Linda. I love you both. Judy

Anonymous said...

I was absolutely going crazy reading all that happened and when all is over you laugh but I can only imagine how it went down. My thoughts are so with you right now, Linda. I love you both. Judy

Anonymous said...

If we didn't know how serious this all is we'd say this experience would make a great TV sitcom. So glad you're home now and will anxiously await word from the doctor. Love you both,
Marlin & Joni

Jennifer Saucy said...

Dave,
At least you can't say that she is boring. I'm sure Linda appreciate the burly hot EMT's rescuing her. I'm glad you both got home safely.
Love,
Jenn

Anonymous said...

OMG! Movie producers in Hollywood could not come up with such a script. You two are NEVER dull. Several years ago I had an "emergency" with my eye while we were on our way to Barbados. We had a connecting flight in Jamaica, so we went to the first-aid station there where the nurse checked me out, then she called a doc. I expected to see some fellow in dreadlocks come into the room. While we were waiting for him to arrive, native Jamaicans dressed in full costume were singing outside the door that "Come back to Jamaica" song, no lie. The doc turned out to be oriental, short hair, no voodoo or spells. I was cleared to fly on our connecting plane, which we actually had time to make. At the time, I thought I had a pretty good travel story to tell, but you two....what can I say.
Linda, we will be thinking of you with positive thoughts. Dave, thanks for tonight's entertainment.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

The Drama Queen Lives! :)

Here are some tips for tomorrow:
1) Don't fall on your butt
2) Hold Dave's hand crossing the street
3) Breathe the clean central Oregon air first hand, not through a mask
4) Hug your children tight
5) Don't fall on your butt

Hold us close and keep the faith Linda, this is the beginning of your new journey to wellness. You can do it!

Love and hugs,
Mary