Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday......July 16th...2009

Quite an eventful day in terms of medical information...not sure we understood it all.....

Linda met with her Oncologist this morning....she was concerned that her bronchitis would affect her treatment schedule but the Oncologist saw her immune system as being at a good level....so forward she went.

The discussion centered around next steps...Linda had her 2nd cycle (3 week cycle each) start today....The Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland had recommended the Avastin as a maintenance program....and she also is getting a bone builder every other cycle (so not this day) in case there is cancer in the bone...too early to tell...better safe than sorry.

Linda will do her 3rd cycle of Avastin on August 5th....then the 4th cycle on August 27th....

3 weeks after that, the Oncologist wants to do a scan...so on or about September 17th. The reason for this is to determine whether the cancer is progressing....in spite of the maintenance program. The Oncologist discussed options in case this happens....he mentioned several drugs he can use to see if they are effective including some chemos again (how does one say "loss of hair" again?).

He also mentioned Tarceva. Tarceva (erlotinib) is a pill a patient takes once a day. The recommended amount is 150 mg a day...Tarceva is a targeted cancer treatment. Tarceva is designed to block cell tumor cell growth by targeting the protein in the body called the Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 1 (HER1/ EGFR). It is a second line of treatment for non small cell lung cancer. To determine its potential effectiveness, a portion of Linda's prior biopsy will be sent off to conduct a EGFR mutational analysis as well as a KRAS mutational analysis....what does all this mean?.....we are not sure other than it will determine whether the Tarceva can be effective as a targeted treatment.

So Linda did her infusion of Avastin.....weathered it well....and over the next few weeks, time and the tests will determine where this is going.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ALL THIS STUFF SOUNDS SO COMPLICATED. GLAD YOU CAN UNDERSTAND MOST OF IT.
THAT NEIGHBOR NEEDS SOME SCHOOLING ON BEING A GOOD NEIGHBOR....
DO I NEED TO COME THERE AND LAY MY HANDS ON HIM? I USED TO BE TOUGH, BUT HE SOUNDS LIKE A SISSIE TO ME.

CLAUDIA

Anonymous said...

Agree with Claudia, do you us to conduct an intervention for you? We could always ask to borrow his t-pee for the session!

I'm flying back your way tomorrow to do my every other weekend thing. Dad is also just finishing up the daily chemo pill deal. He's doing ok so far.

Bless you while you start the new cycle. Relax and remember what a nice vacation you had with the RV and all those friends and family. That will hold you through a few sessions! :)

Love you,
Mary

Wendy Soethe said...

I've just gotten caught up on the blog and so sorry to hear that you caught broncitis/sinus infection while on your trip. So glad you had such a great time though with everyone! Glad you got back home safe, even though the issue with the neighbor is a pain.

Linda, you are so incredibly positive through this whole thing and I fully believe that that is why you are doing so well even with stage 4 cancer. I hope that I can have even a fraction of your strength of mind and character if I'm ever facing a similar battle!

We love you!
Wendy, Chris, and Taigen

Marjorie said...

I'm liking the fact that the bronchitis did not affect the immune system to alter the treatments. It seems to me that it shows underlying strength and that is good.

I'm also liking that the docs are planning various possibilities 5 steps ahead. It's like a game of chess. You need to think faster and further than your opponent.

Prayers and power to you, Linda. And you too Dave.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have the very best doctor. I wish I would have known that there was so much more that could have been done for Dan. I think he may have gotten short changed. Hard to tell.

The more I hear about your treatment the more I think this doctor will get you through. Of course your stamina and fight will do the rest.

Get lots of rest.

Dave I got on the internet to check out those items that stop dogs from barking. Remember I told you about the bird house that deters the dog from barking with high sounds. You neighbor would never know. However, they have mixed reviews if they work. So I guess I am no help.

Take care you two.

Sandy B

Anonymous said...

I am glad Dr. David is on top of all this because I don't understand. I hope the dog situation is getting better.
Love,
Janet